Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

E-Publishing & Book Fairs

With preparations underway for this month’s National Book Festival, which will take place Sept. 25 on the National Mall, I’ve found myself pondering the entire concept of book fairs in general.

As a child, one of the biggest highlights of the new school year was going to the annual book fair set up in our small elementary school library, where I eagerly scanned the tables in search of the one special book that most struck my six-year-old fancy. In retrospect, it’s clear that events like these largely contributed to what would become a lifelong love of reading.


As electronic publishing continues to increase, what effect will this have on traditional book fairs, like those I remember so fondly? In all honesty, I just can’t imagine my childhood experience having been reduced to merely sitting at a computer screen and clicking through a long list of titles, without the joy of actually feeling each book in my hands as I passionately debated the literary merits of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

Have book fairs played a role in your life, whether as a child or as an adult? Do you see e-publishing as a threat to these types of events?

(Graphic Credit: National Book Festival)

No comments: